Introducing and Developing Picture Books
This intensive course for adult beginners will span the 2017 spring and summer terms. Over twenty weeks you will learn the essentials of creating children’s books for 0-6 year olds, and develop your own dummy book / illustration portfolio to appeal to the contemporary picture book market. The course teaches both writing and illustrating as the two disciplines are integral to picture books, but you may wish to specialise in children’s illustration only. Claire creates a friendly, supportive environment in which to develop your own ideas, along with the rare chance to present them to a visiting publisher and an agent at the end of the course.
- Gain an overview of the market & advice on getting published
- Learn how to create stories with convincing characters
- Experiment with a range of appropriate artistic mediums
- Explore narrative themes, structures & writing styles
- Learn how to storyboard your book with compelling layouts
- Learn how to make a dummy book to present to publishers
- Receive one to one & group feedback on your work
- Undertake small projects to sharpen your writing skills and build or enhance your illustration portfolio
- Obtain advice and guidance on marketing your work
- Pitch your work to a London publisher and an agent. Listen to them talk about the kind of work they commission and gain their valuable, individual feedback.
Dates: Spring Term: 10th January – 21st March 2017 (There will be no class on 14th February). Summer Term: 25th April – 4th July (There will be no class on 30th May)
Times: 19.00 – 21.30, Tuesday evenings
Venue: House of Illustration, 2 Granary Square, Kings Cross, London, N1C 4BH
Course Fees: £695
For bookings please go to the House of Illustration website and use the email address quoted at the bottom of the page.